Update on Nathan
Hi everyone, Brian here. I thought I would pass on a few bits of information regarding Nathan. Nathan emailed me last Saturday and told me to tell everyone that his permanent address is still on hold and that details are still not coming through. One thing he does know is that he will be posted to the Copperbelt Province. This is all I was told as he did not have much time to write a longer message. All the info below I pulled from my last letter from him dated June 21 and 22. When possible I used direct quotes, bit more fun that way.
From June 21, Nathan says the sunsets are always red where he is because of the atmosphere and pollution. The food is still bothering him and apparently all of his companions as well. June 22 was Homestay day where Nathan stayed with his host family and did what they did for a day. He was shown how they do dishes and fetch water from a spring which is a 5 min. walk from their house. The girl that showed him is his height, 15 yo, and carried a full 5 gallon jug of water (approx. 40 lb) the entire way back to the house on the top of her head.
"I'm not sure I'll ever be happy to be awake at sunrise when roosters have been crowing all night."
It's warm during the day, but it's dry. Dust whirlwinds cover everything (including the inside of his hut) with a film. "So now, winter here is cool & dry. Aug, Oct, Nov will be hot & dry. Then the rains start until Mar/Apr. No one can tell me how hot Nov. will be, but all they say is "will it be hot!" No one has thermometers here, few have clocks."
"Zambians dress better then everyone in PF." They apparently used to wear t-shirts & shorts, but were told it was a sin to be so naked by American/European missionary/evangelists.
98% of Zambia's power is hydro-electric, but 80% of Zambians do not have access to the power. His village sits beside a gigantic set of powerlines, but still does not have power. Why not steal it you ask? Well, it is considered "espionage" to tamper with the State's power company and if you do, you get 20-30 years in prison.
Inkalamo (lion), his village: Chankalamo (place of lions), but they are long gone from there, however, because of hunting. There is a small river at the bottom of a valley called the Mwekera River where Ingwena (crocodiles) are sometimes found. He also learned that rhinos (Icipembele) do indeed stomp out fires. Not from first hand experience, but just a fun tidbit he passed along.
Food: "I cooked lunch today. We picked rape, a leafy green. It smells a little like kohlrabi but not as strong. I cut it up & cooked it with a tomato & an onion (kayense) in lots of oil. (They like cooking oil) Then I got to boil water and make nshima (ubwali). We also had some dried fish, more bones than fish. Lunch is always better than dinner. Dinner is by candlelight so I never really see what I'm eating. They have something called Kapenta which are similar to whole, dried sardines...I really have to figure a nice way to tell [my host] mom that I don't like Kapenta."
I hope those that read Nathan's blog enjoy this update. I will try to do this every so often using a letter or email I get from him.
Brian
From June 21, Nathan says the sunsets are always red where he is because of the atmosphere and pollution. The food is still bothering him and apparently all of his companions as well. June 22 was Homestay day where Nathan stayed with his host family and did what they did for a day. He was shown how they do dishes and fetch water from a spring which is a 5 min. walk from their house. The girl that showed him is his height, 15 yo, and carried a full 5 gallon jug of water (approx. 40 lb) the entire way back to the house on the top of her head.
"I'm not sure I'll ever be happy to be awake at sunrise when roosters have been crowing all night."
It's warm during the day, but it's dry. Dust whirlwinds cover everything (including the inside of his hut) with a film. "So now, winter here is cool & dry. Aug, Oct, Nov will be hot & dry. Then the rains start until Mar/Apr. No one can tell me how hot Nov. will be, but all they say is "will it be hot!" No one has thermometers here, few have clocks."
"Zambians dress better then everyone in PF." They apparently used to wear t-shirts & shorts, but were told it was a sin to be so naked by American/European missionary/evangelists.
98% of Zambia's power is hydro-electric, but 80% of Zambians do not have access to the power. His village sits beside a gigantic set of powerlines, but still does not have power. Why not steal it you ask? Well, it is considered "espionage" to tamper with the State's power company and if you do, you get 20-30 years in prison.
Inkalamo (lion), his village: Chankalamo (place of lions), but they are long gone from there, however, because of hunting. There is a small river at the bottom of a valley called the Mwekera River where Ingwena (crocodiles) are sometimes found. He also learned that rhinos (Icipembele) do indeed stomp out fires. Not from first hand experience, but just a fun tidbit he passed along.
Food: "I cooked lunch today. We picked rape, a leafy green. It smells a little like kohlrabi but not as strong. I cut it up & cooked it with a tomato & an onion (kayense) in lots of oil. (They like cooking oil) Then I got to boil water and make nshima (ubwali). We also had some dried fish, more bones than fish. Lunch is always better than dinner. Dinner is by candlelight so I never really see what I'm eating. They have something called Kapenta which are similar to whole, dried sardines...I really have to figure a nice way to tell [my host] mom that I don't like Kapenta."
I hope those that read Nathan's blog enjoy this update. I will try to do this every so often using a letter or email I get from him.
Brian


<< Home