Oct 14, 2006

Letters from Zambia 14

Nathan wrote:

07/05/06 - Last night Mrs. Banda invited me for dinner. Goat chunks (more bone than meat) and nshima. The first goat I've had since you've been here. She is lonely since she kicked Euphu out. Yesterday in two swift heaves, Luk upchucked (what looked like) 3 whole birds. Popped right out. Almost funny. Then last night I heard him playing beneath the bed. The head lamp revealed him playing with a mouse. It was still there this morning. Toys (especially dead mice) do not belong under the bed. Luckily it's been cold. This morning he re-ate the birds. And he wonders why he is sick? I'm tired of waking at 0300 to crunching beneath the bed. The biggest frustration was what Mrs. Banda told me of the people's perceptions of me here. She started the conversation by confirming that I'm a volunteer, asking if I get paid. People here think that I covet my huge sum of money that I'm paid (what they believe) and send it home to family. I am in the process of getting tin sheets for the roof through Mrs. Banda. She asked what I was going to do with the sheets when I leave. I thought the answer to that question is obvious, I'm not taking them with me, I'll leave them on g-pa's house for him. However, it now seems like that is going to cause problems. All the PFAP members will call that unfair & demand the sheets to be divided up. I'm not allowed to sell anything (make $) but when I leave g-pa may have to tell them that I sold him the sheets. We'll see how I play this out. Imagine this, they think I came here to make money, they don't believe I could really be a volunteer. I'm peeved enough to want to leave right now because of their continuing ignorance. I see how this works now: I'm white, so I have lots of money. But I'm living in the village, so where's the money? Ah, it must be going to his family. So much for PC's goal of integrating into the community. It doesn't work here!

07/09/06 - Bob was originally due back on Tues. The holiday made me think Thursday at the latest. Friday I began to worry, but that evening Fr. Mobe honked the horn from the road & Bob was with him. I was relieved. There was a box from mom and the re-sent box from Mary. Yesterday, Sat., I went over to Bob's, he said there was much to discuss. Two choices he's been wrestling with are moving to near Chingola at a great site, or ETing and going back to do an EMT course. I pointed out his 3rd option, continuing with the current plan. Lusaka really wants him out of Lufwanyama (& even me) but so far Keegan is an empty threat. I will speak to some people when I get to town, my Program Assistant Don Phiri and the PCVL. I will give them two options, esp. if they are worried. 1) I stay put. 2) I ET, but if I ET then they put on my record why. Or is a IS (interrupted service) possible? There's no third choice of moving to Luapula, which it sounds like my APCD is still pushing for. We'll see what I do, but in the meantime I was able to get Bob to decide to stay put. A minor victory. If he shifts, he'd extend a year. I'd leave before him. I dunno. Yesterday Mrs. Banda returned from town. I'm told she has my iron sheets. I will go talk with her today. Yesterday morning was almost warm and now an over-night wind has kept the temps warmer overnight & now the morning too. The wind rattled my plastic roof lining so my sleep could have been better. Yesterday the sky was so hazy from smoke, even some ground haze at St. M, a fire was burning in the dambo south of Kantende & the SE winds carried it 10 km to Bob's. On friday I had a productive talk with Mulenga's uncle. He will try conservation farming, we'll begin Sept., and the importance of soya beans impressed him. Progress!

07/15/06 - I boiled sheets yesterday and washed a few clothes, wrote a few letters. Day before Bob came over & we talked. Today someone referred to as Uncle Oscar was supposed to drop by and ask about growing fruit trees. The day is progressing, I 'll quit waiting. Tomorrow I'll head to Bob's for lunch.

07/21/06 - Half way through a bad day. Tues. I waited for the Kantende women to come & make jam. No show, no surprise. Wed. Mr. Michelo from Mafuta A, to finish his project proposal, came, that was good. Thurs. waited a bit and went to St. M to meet the Irish guys who came for the week to work for the mission, church-group oriented. Had dinner last night with them, good to be around some English (sort of) speakers. Spent the night at Bob's & came back today. On the way here, 2 km out, my rear tire blew, literally. It looks like something sharp punctured through or one spot wore through, hard to tell. I don't have a spare tire. But I might have a patched spare inner tube. When I opened the house it smelled of kerosene. My bottle was broken, spilling 750 ml of it all over the floor, k5000 worth. Either Luk dropped something on the bottle or in the cold last night it cracked. Dunno which. I got more from St. M today, but I was hoping to get ahead. Luk's complaining at me, tipping stools over, so he's mad at me & I'm yelling back at him. The pigs were all over the yard, crapping as they went. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I start getting jiggers again. I put a basin of water in the insaka for the duck & chickens, the pigs go in & dump it all over & make a mess. If g-pa would only finish the other gate. I can't leave the house for even a night. I'm tired figuratively and physically. This losing sleep at night is getting old. Last night St. M held a big party. Shouting & noise until 2300. The roosters started an hour early last night at 0400. The new motto of Bob & I is "I don't care." In fact, we're both wearing a bit thin. 8 days until going to town, it can't come soon enough. / I could kill Luk right now and he's the one yelling at me?! I was just informed that yesterday Luk ate 10 birds (the ka-small kind shot with a slingshot) from g-pa's son Evans. I'm sure Evans was a bit careless, but none-the-less. Evans was going to sell them for k1000, of course I'll end up paying that. Interesting to note a bird's life is worth about 2 pieces of candy. Just bought a pair of running(ish) shorts for k7500, black with a red strip down the outside of each leg. Something to wear around the house that'll be easy to wash. Funny how clothes are passed around & sold here. These seem to be from China. Playing cards - solitaire, calming down a little. / k150000 to neuter a cat at the clinic in town, with Ba Albert's female cat, I'm seriously contemplating it.

07/25/06 - I've decided to start the roof project when I get back from town, two more weeks 'til I evict the termites. Taking the roof off, one day. A course of bricks to dry, three days. Anchor boards & tin sheets, one day. It's been brutally cold the past few mornings. During the process I'll have to sleep out in the tent, an excellent opportunity to freeze to death. Tante got off her nest today, the chicks hatched yesterday/last night. I'm dying to get a chick count. I bought sorghum just to feed them, hoping to keep the death rate above the normal 70%. Bought another hen, the idea has been in the back of my mind for awhile now. Mule's aunt had one for sale. k18000. A bit pricy, talked her down to k16000. The hen isn't the most beautiful but isn't bad and is supposed to start laying soon. We'll see. She isn't integrating well with the chickens here. She shows no interest in food when I throw some to her. Tempted to call her Wraith 'cause she is quick and quiet and disappears like a ghost. I'm hoping she survives. / Blowing dust & sand all day. Cold nights, warm days, starting to feel like August weather. In the meantime, I have to dust off your letter everytime I sit down to write. Tante had all 14 eggs hatch! That's a high #.

07/26/06 - All 14 chicks survived the cold night. I was able to force Tante into the duck house. Another windy & dusty day, even sitting in the insaka there are moments I can only hold my breath & close my eyes. The last of the grass was burned last night around g-pa's house, almost everything has been torched now, the early burning season is almost over. Late-burning is bad - very hot, dangerous & damaging to the forests. Bob stopped by at 0650 this morning, a surprise, he brought 4 onions. He picked up the phone to type out some text messages that I'll send in town. We'll go over to his house tomorrow for lunch and pick up mail. G-pa's niece brought over my new hen this morning, said the hen was sick, I've been thinking so, refusing food. I'm really not sure what to do. I tied her legs & she's now resting in a cloche I put in the insaka, trying to keep her out of the wind. I held her a while in the sun when it was cold, doesn't look like bird flu. Very worried though.