Jun 18, 2006

Letters from Zambia 10

Nathan wrote:

05/25: Left TOT this morning, in Solwezi now, will take tomorrow as a rest day before leaving early Saturday to head back. Wednesday night, after we finished sessions, almost all of us went out to a cool club in Kitwe - EXODUS. Most of TOT was a waste of time but it was nice to be with my LIFE/HAP friends on the anniversary of flying into Z.

We expected to be at the CR Bus Station (where Keegan, Bob, You & I waited in Kitwe) at 0600. Due to silly PC we didn't get there till 0900. Got into Solwezi at 1345. Something simple takes so long. Imagine taking most of the day to get to Wausau and then the next day trying to get to Green Bay.

Today is African Freedom Day, most places were closed for the Holiday, so I'll see if I can get to the P.O. to mail this tomorrow. //

05/26: Went to bed last night with a sore throat and some sinus congestion, a few coughs over night, I can't be sick. I've seen a few movies while here. Team America, What Lies Beneath, maybe another that I'm forgetting. It actually rained a little on 05/23, there was some distant lightning in Kitwe on 5/22. Strange weather, but after a week of clouds, today is starting off clear & sunny. Today I need to head to Shoprite to find some food, P.O., then find some brake pads and clean/lube my chain. Once I pack up, I'll be all set to leave tomorrow.

At TOT PC Medical Officer (PCMO) asked (told) me about bringing the Regional PCMO from S.A. to my site, he'll be at Mwekera and Bob, Eliza, & I arethe closest to show him sites. I was told to have tea & lunch waiting on June 24th but I think Bob will do all the cooking, we'll see how this plays out. Either June 19th or July 19th PCMO/Z will come for an actual Medical Site Visit, they do that to check on our living environment & sanitary conditions.

PCVL Josh leaves on 27th July, Carl Wahl (the U.P.er from NW) is now PCVL of Central, replacing Allison. My friend Eston will be replacing Josh. The partiers have been COSing, so Solwezi is already toned-down, but the dynamic may continue to mellow with Eston. So I found out that it is Eston's site up near Kawambwa (Luapula) that my APCD wanted me to replace. I told Robert No at TOT. While he didn't show it, his language & tone were disappointed with my choice. He tried throwing a guilt trip on me, some B.S. line of a commitment to the Forestry Dept. Ha ha ha. What about theirs to us??

My larder is completely empty, Bob and I will have to make a supply run to Kitwe on June 5th or 6th. Even Shoprite was closed yesterday for the "holiday," (so no, I didn't really eat much last night) but Bob will let me borrow whatever I need from him. Also, our money should be deposited this coming week, I have enough in my account but Bob is running on empty, lent him K 200K last week.

I'll be PCV of the week for week 8 of PST, July 31st - Aug 5th, so I'll be at Mwekera then. I'll help the trainer facilitate/present the lectures. There were supposed to be two PCV trainers, Carolina (PCV from Sumfya) and Brian (PCV from Northern). A family emergency forced Brian to COS & fly home last week. Carolina will be swamped. The next PST will have three groups at once, purportedly to save money. Ha ha ha. HAP/LIFE/RAP. 59 trainees & staff at once. Will be a nightmare, but HAP PCV of the week will be Katie H from Luapula, at TOT we agreed that we haven't had much chance to talk & we need to fix that, I'm looking forward to it.

While at TOT, picked up a small package from Cally. She sent pictures of Rich/Vicky getting married and you playing drums at A. Cherie's house. I should wrap this up and get it in the mail.

N