Jun 16, 2007

Just before the end...

Hi everyone! I'll try to post a short update of my life, as it has been in a state of flux the past 10 days.

June 9th was the day of a Farwell Party in my village, thrown by the head-teacher and teacher, both of whom have been like family to me. My APCD (Assistant Program Country Director - LIFE), Mr. Phiri, and Elizabeth came out to the party and then to pull me from site. It was a great party, and a good way to say goodbye. The morning of the 10th we jumped in the Land Rover and went to Kitwe, my close friends in the village were in tears, it was difficult to drive away. I made it to Solwezi with most of my belongings, somethings had to go to Lusaka, packing will be last minute for me, but of course I wouldn't do it any other way!

In the village I wrote out rough drafts of my final reports and am now getting them typed out with corrections and revisions. These documents wrap up my life of the past two years. Each step - leaving the village, writing reports, packing my belongings - brings me a little closer to home and a little more distanced to my recent life here. I've been able to think though and picture every step in my mind, and I find myself simply going through the motions. I'm either that good or I've been able to adapt and prepare.

I still need to finalize Kitwe, closing the bank and a last check for any mail, but otherwise I have the next week to test the volume of my luggage and learn creative packing styles, and perhaps mentally prep for my final days coming up in Lusaka. On the 21st I leave for Lusaka for final Administration stuf and the finaly medical check.

On the morning of the 25th I'll officially end my volunteership and will be on my flight that afternoon. I'll have stops in Joburg in S.Africa, Amersterdam, and Detroit before touchdown the evening of the 26th in Wisconsin. At this point my plans become more fuzzy, but I'm looking forward to Cally and Brian picking me at the airport. I'm drooling with thoughts of dinner at a Mexican restaurant, but really, just being back will be a wonderful feeling. After a few days with Cally in Green Bay, I'll be heading north.

This is basically all that I have for updates. If and when I know anything else, I'll try to send out another update, perhaps within the week. Otherwise, I'll see or talk to all of you when I'm back in the States, soon. Yes, I'm exicted, but I still have more goodbyes to say, and the idea of leaving Zambia and everyone here has been difficult so far. Leaving seems to be as difficult as coming.

To quote one of my villagers: "That's all, no more" - nathan