Apr 7, 2007

An email from Gregg

Nathan asked me to post this email message from his fellow PCV Gregg Hayward.

Happy Easter!

Brian
________________________________________________

Hello Lots of People

So I know that this is going to come as a surprise to many people, but I am back in the United States, at my family's house in New Hampshire right now. Things with Peace Corps are over. I came home a bit early due to some medical problems that I was facing in country. I fainted back in June of 2006, and since that time I haven't really been feeling very well. I was having these reoccurring bouts of intense lightheadedness. Sometimes it would feel like the gravity of the Earth had increased by 3, my body feeling very heavy for a brief instant. Other times, it would sort of feel like I was drunk, my mind being a few steps behind my body. In February I had this tingling in my left hand that would not go away… it was all very bizarre. When I fainted in June, the Peace Corps did extensive medical testing on me, and couldn't find anything abnormal. This February when the tingling started, I went back to the Peace Corps and explained how I had not been feeling very well for a while, so they suggested some more testing be done, this time in Washington D.C. I've been in D.C. for the last month, and had an MRI of my head and neck done as well as a echocardiogram of my heart and neck. Everything seems normal. It is possible that my strange symptoms could be a response to stress, who knows…

So with this weird stuff going on, Peace Corps has decided that it would be best for me to stay in the United States. I was medically separated from the Peace Corps on March 30, 2007, and flew home Saturday from D.C. There has been a fair amount of culture shock, getting back into the swing of things in the US, but I'm taking it one step at a time. My family hastily through together a welcome back party, which was great, and I got to see all four of my grandparents on my first day back. I am a lucky guy!

Another thing that is good is that significant testing has been done, and according to that, I'm a healthy young chap. I feel pretty good right now. The tingling in the hand has largely gone away and the lightheadedness stuff is fewer and farther between. If it is stress related, well, the US seems to be good medicine. I pulled out my long board skateboard yesterday and traced some arcs around the corners of the driveway, legs and back real loose, sweeping turns… it felt so good. Sooo good. I'm listening to some of the music I've been missing out on for the past two years, and that has been great. It's all a little hard to comprehend at the moment… being back now.

Having to leave Zambia early (and honestly without getting the chance to say goodbye) has been really tough. I have built some very tight relationships with people in Peace Corps, and especially with people living in the village where I was based. If you haven't heard about my buddy Reuben Kangombe already, be prepared for some seriously long funny stories of the adventures we have shared.

One thing that I am so happy about was being able to be around for the birth of Reuben's son, which was born on February 9th, 2007. Reuben and I had been anticipating the day for a long time, as his wife, Bana Mpundu had a very difficult 9 months leading up to the birth. We had our fingers crossed for a long time. Thankfully, we were able to convince her, and the local clinic officer that she needed to deliver in town. It's really good that we made it happen, as she had some complications during the delivery that could have been quite serious if she had delivered in the village. In town, they were able to take real good care of her, and both she and her child are doing just fine. Reuben came right over and with a grin that could have sold all of his teeth, he told me that he was the happy father of a newborn son. It was an amazing flash of emotions, sights smells and life, as I was quickly ushered to the hospital to hold to see their 6-hour-old son and hold him in my arms. Unforgettable.

That's how this whole experience has been. Every moment of it. Unforgettable. I have had such an enjoyable, moving time in Zambia. The people are amazing… so happy, creative, warm and loving. Zambians really look out for their families and neighbors. What they may lack in physical possessions, they more than make up for in their relationships with others. I went their thinking I had something to teach, and found myself with so much to learn. Sooo much!! Ahh! I could go on and on about it, but I feel like I have learned a great deal about people, and I feel like my eyes are just a bit more open.

Anyways, I'll keep this brief. I could go on for eons about Zambia, and how much amazing stuff lies outside the boundaries of the United States... but lets do that in person. I'd love to get back in touch with everyone and meet up… its been a while! During the next month or two, I'm just gonna relax, decompress, and get back into the swing of things… things move real fast here compared to Zambia. So get in touch, and we'll do some stuff. I hope all of you are well and enjoying things. Keep yourself open to new opportunities and scare yourself once daily.

All the best,
Gregg