COS and more
Okay, round two, I typed out a previous blog but lost it on a computer in Solwezi (I’m blaming a virus on that computer). We’ll see how much I remember of what I wanted to say.
11 April 2007. Let me try to do the last month chronologically. Starting in mid-March:
Gregg:
Coming into Zambia in May 2005 we had 14 LIFE’ers, there are currently 7 of us left “in country”. During the last 22 months our number has decreased, for a variety of reasons (medically, or decided to leave). We are now at 50% since Gregg went back to the US recently. I’ve asked Brian to post Gregg’s recent e-mail to the blog (below this posting) just to be able to read what he had to say. He was such a good writer; we loved hearing his stories about the village and his friend in the village, Reuben. We were not able to say goodbyes before he left, and his departure occurred just before the final conference that would have brought all of us LIFE ’05 back together. The conference was empty without him, but there was a sense of relief that he was okay and safely back in the US. I think we’d all agree that he was the best of us - we miss him a lot. I just wanted to update the blog on the status of my group, my friends, LIFE ’05.
COS Conference:
I was able to spend about 4 days in Lusaka attending the COS (Close of Service) Conference with the group of us that came together to Zambia. We all came in together and we are approaching the date we will leave. The conference is designed to inform us about procedures that we need to follow before and during COS (i.e. finishing & leaving Zambia). Also we had support on our choices after we return to the US, and how to cope with our experience. No, not everyone we talk to will understand what we went through, not everyone will care about the experience. We’ll have to accept that.
The time spent there was also meant to be a little bit of a comfortable relaxation. It was held at Chaminuka Nature Reserve (http://www.chaminuka.com/) just outside of the capital. We were able to go on a driven safari (yellow baboons, giraffes, warthogs, impala, waterbuck, etc. very up close), tour a very large cheese factory (they produce 450kg of cheese per day), take hot showers, and eat three meals a day (something I’m no longer used to). I also picked up a little tennis from a fellow volunteer, something that I might like to continue in the future, or at least continue trying once home.
And finally at the conference, those who had different plans finalized them with the staff. I was able to talk to my acting-APCD (Associate Program Country Director) Donald Phiri and the CD (Country Director) about my wish to COS early. We talked about it back in December, but began the move to finalize the idea and put it into writing. Two, of the seven in my group, will be extending another year in Zambia, though in a slightly different place and capacity. I will be the only one leaving a little early. As of typing this, I do not have the final dates, but will confirm them later this week (hopefully) and will convey the dates to Cally and Brian.
APCD:
The former APCD for LIFE (Linking Income Food & the Environment), Robert Layng, was offered a job working for an American organization in D.C. and left Zambia in early January. The position has been temporarily filled by the PA (Program Assistant) for LIFE & RAP (Rural Aquaculture Promotion [fish farming]) Donald Phiri. Mr Phiri is a great guy who’s been a technical leader for Trainings in Mwekera and assistant to the two programs. At the COS Conference it was announced to us that the interviews were completed and of a handful of people, Mr. Phiri was selected for the position permanently. We are happy at the decision and know we’ll be in good hands for the completion of our time here, and the LIFE program will continue to move forward in a positive direction.
Currently:
I’m sitting in Kitwe, not in a rush to return to the village. I really don’t have many in-depth & serious projects to work on there. Things have come to a point where I’m ready to leave, yes, it’s a little ahead of schedule, but that’s the way things have worked out. As an update on the US Embassy grant I helped my lead farmer Mr. Michelo write, he did not get the grant. We were initially told by the Embassy that his proposal was pre-selected if we could improve communications between Lusaka and the bush. A difficult mission and we finally got something in place, but it seems that either we took too long or it wasn’t good enough. Mr. Michelo was sent a rejection letter that depressed and saddened us both. We’ve identified some potential alternatives and I’m in the process of requesting information and requirements from these agencies. I am hopeful, but with everything else here, I’m not getting my expectations too high.
So back to Kitwe, I leave for the bush tomorrow, with luck I’ll be able to post this blog to the internet before I leave town. I’m currently at Jen & Ben’s, friends that I met through Cecelia (she was the CCV –Crisis Corps Volunteer – in Kitwe that I talked about previously). Jen & Ben work for the German Development Organization (don’t ask me the acronym or what it stands for, too many acronyms are already in my head). Jen is American and married Ben, who is German, after living for 5 years in Germany with him. Ben then took this development job and they’ve moved here. They’re a great couple that has warmly welcomed me into their home; I’ve enjoyed talking with them and spending time here. I’m currently typing on their Apple Notebook, G4, hmmm… will definitely explore this option once I return home – a nice computer.
Forward:
The next few months will be busy, but also I have a slight fear they will seem slow. Early to mid-May I will probably come into town again for a slight break. The end of May I will be finalizing things in the village, saying goodbyes and packing things up. Early to mid-June I’ll be leaving the village and heading up to Solwezi for a week or two to type out my final reports and prepare to leave Zambia. And finally I will head to Lusaka for five (or so) days for a final medical-check and finish any remaining paperwork at the office. Probably the last week of June I’ll officially ring “the bell” and my service here will end. Shortly thereafter, I’ll be on a flight home.
Misc.:
The rains are pretty much over. This year was a bit different than last. Some places (even near me) had quite a bit of flooding, main roads were impassible and crops were lost. However, by me, last year had bush-path bridges washout, this year had nothing of the sort. Officially, I’ve recorded in my rain gauge a lot less than last year. I’ll tally that number and post it here, but for me, it was drier. Also, the storm/rain pattern was different. Last year saw more light but persistent rains (that lasted for a day or two or more). This year it was either hit-or-miss thunderstorms or nothing at all. Already the roads are getting dusty (instead of the puddles that completely cover the road) and the corn stalks are starting to yellow, signaling they’re getting ready for harvest.
I’ve decided not to bring the cat home. I’ll miss Lukipela terribly, but he’s an outdoor Zambian cat, he will not find Winter in northern WI amusing. He’ll be happier outside in Zambia. It’s my fault for raising him in the American style (like a child) instead of the Zambian way (like a worthless item that can be stoned to death). I found a good home for him and I now feel more comfortable leaving him behind. He means so much to me that I’m writing a paragraph in my blog about him, and I have many pictures of the little monster. I’m sure I’ll be showing pictures to as many people as possible, anyone reading this will have to bear with me.
Wrap-up:
So I think that’s most of what I wanted to talk about. I’ve no idea how much this blog is actually followed, if anyone reads it or not, but on the chance that someone will, maybe I’ve put some good stuff in here that will answer some questions. Alright, enough of my rambling for now.
Until next time (that’s not a threat), n
11 April 2007. Let me try to do the last month chronologically. Starting in mid-March:
Gregg:
Coming into Zambia in May 2005 we had 14 LIFE’ers, there are currently 7 of us left “in country”. During the last 22 months our number has decreased, for a variety of reasons (medically, or decided to leave). We are now at 50% since Gregg went back to the US recently. I’ve asked Brian to post Gregg’s recent e-mail to the blog (below this posting) just to be able to read what he had to say. He was such a good writer; we loved hearing his stories about the village and his friend in the village, Reuben. We were not able to say goodbyes before he left, and his departure occurred just before the final conference that would have brought all of us LIFE ’05 back together. The conference was empty without him, but there was a sense of relief that he was okay and safely back in the US. I think we’d all agree that he was the best of us - we miss him a lot. I just wanted to update the blog on the status of my group, my friends, LIFE ’05.
COS Conference:
I was able to spend about 4 days in Lusaka attending the COS (Close of Service) Conference with the group of us that came together to Zambia. We all came in together and we are approaching the date we will leave. The conference is designed to inform us about procedures that we need to follow before and during COS (i.e. finishing & leaving Zambia). Also we had support on our choices after we return to the US, and how to cope with our experience. No, not everyone we talk to will understand what we went through, not everyone will care about the experience. We’ll have to accept that.
The time spent there was also meant to be a little bit of a comfortable relaxation. It was held at Chaminuka Nature Reserve (http://www.chaminuka.com/) just outside of the capital. We were able to go on a driven safari (yellow baboons, giraffes, warthogs, impala, waterbuck, etc. very up close), tour a very large cheese factory (they produce 450kg of cheese per day), take hot showers, and eat three meals a day (something I’m no longer used to). I also picked up a little tennis from a fellow volunteer, something that I might like to continue in the future, or at least continue trying once home.
And finally at the conference, those who had different plans finalized them with the staff. I was able to talk to my acting-APCD (Associate Program Country Director) Donald Phiri and the CD (Country Director) about my wish to COS early. We talked about it back in December, but began the move to finalize the idea and put it into writing. Two, of the seven in my group, will be extending another year in Zambia, though in a slightly different place and capacity. I will be the only one leaving a little early. As of typing this, I do not have the final dates, but will confirm them later this week (hopefully) and will convey the dates to Cally and Brian.
APCD:
The former APCD for LIFE (Linking Income Food & the Environment), Robert Layng, was offered a job working for an American organization in D.C. and left Zambia in early January. The position has been temporarily filled by the PA (Program Assistant) for LIFE & RAP (Rural Aquaculture Promotion [fish farming]) Donald Phiri. Mr Phiri is a great guy who’s been a technical leader for Trainings in Mwekera and assistant to the two programs. At the COS Conference it was announced to us that the interviews were completed and of a handful of people, Mr. Phiri was selected for the position permanently. We are happy at the decision and know we’ll be in good hands for the completion of our time here, and the LIFE program will continue to move forward in a positive direction.
Currently:
I’m sitting in Kitwe, not in a rush to return to the village. I really don’t have many in-depth & serious projects to work on there. Things have come to a point where I’m ready to leave, yes, it’s a little ahead of schedule, but that’s the way things have worked out. As an update on the US Embassy grant I helped my lead farmer Mr. Michelo write, he did not get the grant. We were initially told by the Embassy that his proposal was pre-selected if we could improve communications between Lusaka and the bush. A difficult mission and we finally got something in place, but it seems that either we took too long or it wasn’t good enough. Mr. Michelo was sent a rejection letter that depressed and saddened us both. We’ve identified some potential alternatives and I’m in the process of requesting information and requirements from these agencies. I am hopeful, but with everything else here, I’m not getting my expectations too high.
So back to Kitwe, I leave for the bush tomorrow, with luck I’ll be able to post this blog to the internet before I leave town. I’m currently at Jen & Ben’s, friends that I met through Cecelia (she was the CCV –Crisis Corps Volunteer – in Kitwe that I talked about previously). Jen & Ben work for the German Development Organization (don’t ask me the acronym or what it stands for, too many acronyms are already in my head). Jen is American and married Ben, who is German, after living for 5 years in Germany with him. Ben then took this development job and they’ve moved here. They’re a great couple that has warmly welcomed me into their home; I’ve enjoyed talking with them and spending time here. I’m currently typing on their Apple Notebook, G4, hmmm… will definitely explore this option once I return home – a nice computer.
Forward:
The next few months will be busy, but also I have a slight fear they will seem slow. Early to mid-May I will probably come into town again for a slight break. The end of May I will be finalizing things in the village, saying goodbyes and packing things up. Early to mid-June I’ll be leaving the village and heading up to Solwezi for a week or two to type out my final reports and prepare to leave Zambia. And finally I will head to Lusaka for five (or so) days for a final medical-check and finish any remaining paperwork at the office. Probably the last week of June I’ll officially ring “the bell” and my service here will end. Shortly thereafter, I’ll be on a flight home.
Misc.:
The rains are pretty much over. This year was a bit different than last. Some places (even near me) had quite a bit of flooding, main roads were impassible and crops were lost. However, by me, last year had bush-path bridges washout, this year had nothing of the sort. Officially, I’ve recorded in my rain gauge a lot less than last year. I’ll tally that number and post it here, but for me, it was drier. Also, the storm/rain pattern was different. Last year saw more light but persistent rains (that lasted for a day or two or more). This year it was either hit-or-miss thunderstorms or nothing at all. Already the roads are getting dusty (instead of the puddles that completely cover the road) and the corn stalks are starting to yellow, signaling they’re getting ready for harvest.
I’ve decided not to bring the cat home. I’ll miss Lukipela terribly, but he’s an outdoor Zambian cat, he will not find Winter in northern WI amusing. He’ll be happier outside in Zambia. It’s my fault for raising him in the American style (like a child) instead of the Zambian way (like a worthless item that can be stoned to death). I found a good home for him and I now feel more comfortable leaving him behind. He means so much to me that I’m writing a paragraph in my blog about him, and I have many pictures of the little monster. I’m sure I’ll be showing pictures to as many people as possible, anyone reading this will have to bear with me.
Wrap-up:
So I think that’s most of what I wanted to talk about. I’ve no idea how much this blog is actually followed, if anyone reads it or not, but on the chance that someone will, maybe I’ve put some good stuff in here that will answer some questions. Alright, enough of my rambling for now.
Until next time (that’s not a threat), n

<< Home