Feb 2, 2007

post-Brian's visit

2 Feb 2007
Kitwe

Brian's month visiting went by way too fast, it was a simple month, but I think he got a better idea of village life this time than last. We spent two nights at Elizabeth's site located south of Ndola, then a few nights in Kitwe visiting with Crisis Corps Volunteer Cecelia, and then three weeks in the bush at my village. While there we biked to a few different villages, saw a few beautiful spots reachable only by bushpath, and sat through some very cold, damp, rainy days. One of the highlights was a party thrown by the Head Teacher in my village to welcome Brian and to celebrate her birthday at the same time. After much planning and organizing a party in the bush (it's a bit of work to get supplies from town) we had a pretty big bash... enough so that we got lost that night walking back to my house :) Before leaving we went up to Chingola to visit with the previous priest-in-charge of St Marys, Fr Peter Mobe. He really helped me while he was in St Marys but has since shifted parishes. I'm glad Brian got a chance to meet him, and we were taken on a tour of Chingola and saw from a distance the Konkola Open-pit Mine, the largest in Africa.
With any luck, Brian will post some of his stories here for everyone to read (hint hint), it's too much for me to do, and besides - it was his trip.

Two more months of rain (looks like an average rainfall year so far) before the rain stops in mid-April. Then things will finally dry out (laundry takes days or a week to dry right now) and the road and bushpaths will become a whole lot easier to travel. I'm looking forward to seeing the sun again. Once we hit April I'm sure things will speed up. I may have one of my projects coming to fruition, I received a call from the US Embassy in Lusaka with an update of the project proposal submitted by one of my guys. If I can fix up a few loose ends, it will be approved. It's a 4.8 million kwacha proposal and it's been pre-selected... the next two weeks will be busy getting that taken care of.

So for now, that's all I have. Yeah, I'm falling way behind in mail, I'll try to remedy that with a few emails and a few cards in the mail.

Happy Groundhogs Day, take care, nathan